Become a Part of the NIKE, Inc. Team
NIKE, Inc. does more than outfit the world’s best athletes. It is a place to explore potential, obliterate boundaries and push out the edges of what can be. The company looks for people who can grow, think, dream and create. Its culture thrives by embracing diversity and rewarding imagination. The brand seeks achievers, leaders and visionaries. At NIKE, Inc. it’s about each person bringing skills and passion to a challenging and constantly evolving game.
NIKE, Inc.’s rapid pace of innovation demands a Legal team that is always on the offense. And they’re always on their game – with the mission to advance and guide Nike’s business through innovative, offense-minded counsel. Nike attorneys, paralegals and other specialists in law provide inventive approaches and superior counsel to Nike’s global business. As Nike changes the future of sport, the Nike Legal team drives competition, ingenuity and integrity in the marketplace.
We are looking for an experienced attorney to join our growing Legal team as Assistant General Counsel to the North America (“NA”) Nike Direct Stores & Services team and assume a direct leadership role in guiding our team as they take Nike’s growth to the next level. This position will include an emphasis on our growth driving and award-winning retail business in NA providing strategic business counsel on all aspects of the NA retail business, including the real estate strategy.What will you work on
As Assistant General Counsel, you will review, draft and negotiate a wide range of agreements and documents for Nike’s NA Direct Stores & Services business teams as they continue to transform Nike’s NA retail function to support and drive growth; and you will provide strategic counseling on NA consumer issues in retail channels serving North America. You will advise and counsel NA business leaders on consumer protection legal matters that may impact retail operations and digital retail products (including, warranties, notice, pricing, advertising etc.) and understanding on how to build these legal requirements into Nike digital products. You will take an active role in reviewing, drafting and negotiating lease agreements with some of our largest landlords in NA, and serve as a critical issue point of support for Contract Specialists and Paralegals responsible for lease administration. Transaction types range from retail real estate lease agreements, vendor agreements, digital retail platforms, license and retail services agreements to evolving areas such as online to offline services.
In addition to handling the legal work on important transactions, you will advise and counsel Nike business managers on a wide-range of legal and process issues associated with our compliance team with internal control processes, and management of business relationships. Along with others in the Legal team you will contribute your knowledge and experience toward efforts to reengineer delivery of legal services to improve quality, efficiency and service levels using traditional and new model legal service providers.Who will you work with
Under the supervision of our VP, Legal NA, you will work directly with the leaders of the Vice Presidents and Senior Directors of the NA Nike Direct Stores & Services business, as well as other leaders and business managers in the organization. You will partner closely with Nike’s Global NDSS, Digital Product Legal, Brand Marketing, Privacy, Nike Direct Digital Commerce and other supporting functions.
- Juris Doctorate degree
- Member, in good standing, of at least one US State Bar and willingness to meet the requirements of membership in the Oregon State Bar through in-house counsel, reciprocity, or other avenue.
- Minimum 5 years experience in the practice of commercial transactions that include a significant consumer retail component
- Minimum 4 years experience in Retail Real Estate transactions
- Law firm experience in one or more of the following specialty areas is preferred: real estate, retail, consumer protection and counseling, information technology, advertising technology
- Experience in a corporate legal department of a retailer is preferred
- Provide experience representing corporations in commercial transactions and general business law
- Substantive knowledge of law related to consumer protection in the digital and retail environment
- Sound risk assessment capabilities in rapidly evolving digital and retail areas
- Strong teammate and ability to work cross-functionally in a complex organizational structure
- Demonstrated ability to learn business requirements quickly, analyze legal and commercial risks and propose creative solutions
- Ability to communicate effectively and succinctly, both verbally and in writing, with technology and business personnel at all levels
NIKE, Inc. is a growth company that looks for team members to grow with it. Nike offers a generous total rewards package, casual work environment, a diverse and inclusive culture, and an electric atmosphere for professional development. No matter the location, or the role, every Nike employee shares one galvanizing mission: To bring inspiration and innovation to every athlete* in the world.
NIKE, Inc. is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability.
How We Hire
At NIKE, Inc. we promise to provide a premium, inclusive, compelling and authentic candidate experience. Delivering on this promise means we allow you to be at your best — and to do that, you need to understand how the hiring process works. Transparency is key. * This overview explains our hiring process for corporate roles. Note there may be different hiring steps involved for non-corporate roles.Start now
Whether it’s transportation or financial health, we continually invest in our employees to help them achieve greatness — inside and outside of work. All who work here should be able to realize their full potential.