Become part of the Converse Team
Converse is a place to explore potential, break barriers and push out the edges of what can be. The company looks for people who can grow, think, dream and create. Its culture thrives by embracing diversity and rewarding imagination. The brand seeks achievers, leaders and visionaries. At Converse, it’s about each person bringing skills and passion to a challenging and constantly evolving world to make things better as a team.
If You Get People, You’re Our People
Sure, there’s a whole science behind marketing. But behind that is real people. With needs and wants and quirks and dreams. And we need someone who gets people, who knows how to find our people. The creators, thinkers, and rebels who find themselves at home putting on some Converse. You’re the one that shows them we’re the same. You’re the connector.
ABOUT OUR TEAM
The Brand Creative Team in North America is responsible for all physical and digital creative in the region. As experts on our consumer, the Brand Creative Team ensures that all creative content and experiences are authentic to the Converse Brand, while delivering specifically what is right for our consumers in North America. We do this by working with our cross functional counterparts to deliver elevated brand experiences and innovative product storytelling with best in class creative and service, all while offering creative solutions to achieve our business goals.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
The Director of Brand Creative, North America, is a strategic leadership role that requires the ability to perform the functions of the Creative Director at an experienced level while also elevating the Brand Creative team by demonstrating a high level of inspiration, direction, creativity and leadership. As a member of the North America Marketing leadership team you will work to establish seasonal strategies that deliver holistic elevated creative solutions for Converse as an authentic Lifestyle performance brand Sparking Youth Progress.
We’re looking for a creative leader with a collaborative approach and entrepreneurial attitude who takes initiative, is masterful leading a team, and strives to develop and cultivate growth for our team. The work will be ambitious, never boring, and will be an integral part of the North America Marketing leadership team bringing new consumer experiences and solutions to the Converse brand.
KEY CANDIDATE ATTRIBUTES:
- Passion for the Converse Brand and for creating high-quality work with attention to detail
- Driven, strategic, thinks critically, is accountable, empathetic, resourceful, takes initiative and has great interpersonal skills
- A leader and role model for positive and empowering behavior, a hard-working demeanor with an ability to inspire, challenge and work seamlessly with other team members
- Creative visual skill set able to translate complex technical and business concepts into easy-to-understand communication pieces
- Ability to lead and direct multiple agency relationships and direct reports, across multiple projects with a clear design voice and an unbending creative rigor
- Ability to socialize and present creative work in a compelling and persuasive way to cross-functional partners and senior leadership
- Craft and develop digital storytelling content with a passionate focus on our NA consumer in the spaces of fashion, active and sport
- Experience in leading teams and a love for management & mentoring
- Collaborative demeanor and passion for brainstorming creative solutions with team of designers and writers
- Growth Mentality. Be open to, and constantly in search of, growth opportunities for yourself and your team. Commitment to training and development as a regular part of your job. Enable, engage, empower and celebrate a premier team and culture
- Resist complacency and the status quo. Be convinced there can always be a better way and resolve to be open minded about the opportunity to elevate yourself and your team
- Has a network of design/agency partners, creatives, photo/videographers, retouchers, etc. for our team and Region to leverage as well as always be looking for new creatives to collaborate with
- Excellent communication and partnership skills:
- Communicates and presents design concepts; creates presentation materials that effectively communicate design concepts—mentors direct reports to present their work a persuasive and compelling way
- Be a creative inspiring leader on the NA Marketing Team
- Innate sense of when to seek guidance and share problems
- Knows when to involves others when working on projects
- Shares own expertise and experience with others
- Values differences; behaves with sensitivity toward differences in cultural norms. Seeks out diverse perspectives and talents of others
- Communicate on a regular basis with the VP of Global Brand Creative and ensure all work that needs to be Globally approved is done so in a timely manner
- Follow the creative review process, provide clear direction, feedback and final creative approval for all retail brand work in region
WHAT YOU WILL WORK ON
If this is you, your expertise on the consumer will inform your partnership with functional leaders to develop the seasonal marketing strategy for North America. You will be the conduit between the Global and NA Brand Creative teams, leading the implementation of the Global Brand visual center and narrative, adapting as needed to create what is right for the North America consumer and market. You hold the creative vision for the season and will give clear direction and inspiration to your team as well as onboarding and supervising work with external partners & agencies. Immersion in global youth culture with a sharp point on North America is an important factor in knowing how to bring to life Spark Youth Progress via visuals, aesthetics and experiences.
You will lead and mentor multiple direct reports and be responsible for encouraging, recognizing and rewarding team members. Building cross-functional relationships across the company is important to gaining understanding of what other teams’ roles & responsibilities are to inform and recommend developmental activities and stretch assignments to your team. In addition, you will lead and give clear creative direction, assisting them to deliver effective design solutions and drive Operational and Creative excellence: ensuring delivery of high quality work on time and on budget 100% of the time.
In a typical week you will have multiple meetings with the NA Marketing Leadership Team and VP to align on priorities. You will also have one-on-one’s with your direct reports as well as the VP of NA and the VP of Global Brand Creative. Other weekly meetings include: NA Creative Review prep with your team, Creative Review with the NA Leadership Team, and various other internal and external agency project specific touch bases. You will review and give detailed feedback on all creative, ensuring Converse Brand standards and continuity across all consumer touch points.
WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
The Director of Brand Creative in North America reports directly to the VP of North America Marketing with a dotted line to the VP of Global Brand Creative. Your direct reports consist of a team of designers. You will work closely with the Creative Operations team to ensure adherence of timeline and budget targets. In addition, the Director of Brand Creative works with leaders in digital brand marketing, retail brand, wholesale and NA Direct to Consumer channels of converse.com, social media, flagship & factory stores, brand comms, entertainment & PR, NA territories, the Global Brand Creative team and external agencies to ensure Converse is creating powerful visual and narrative expressions for all North America consumer-facing creative in support of business & company goals. In addition to marketing responsibilities, this role will provide creative direction ensuring the Converse brand manifests to its full potential in all internal brand experiences including new office designs and internal meetings.
WHAT YOU BRING
- Bachelor’s Degree in Graphic Design or design-related equivalent
- 9+ years proven experience as a design leader, as a Creative Director or reporting into a Creative Director for a large brand or agency experience specific to the footwear/apparel industry
- Excellent Adobe Suite skills
- Creative, bold, and digitally savvy
- A self-starter, comfortable working in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment, organized, detail oriented, collaborative and flexible
- 5+ years management experience of teams with 4+ people
- Able to lead diverse, highly performing teams with multiple and competing work priorities, demands and changes
- Familiarity with project tracking tools such as Asana or Slack
- Deep connection to streetwear culture and trend
- Excellent writing and communications experience
Converse is more than a company; it’s a worldwide advocate for self-expression. This belief motivates our employees, permeates our working environment and inspires our products. No two of us look or think exactly alike. We are each one-of-a-kind. Individually and as a culture, we have the freedom to create and grow professionally. Generous benefits packages only sweeten the experience. From Boston to Shanghai, from Brand Design to Finance, Converse is a brand that celebrates the unique and creative people of the world. Together, we’re different.
How We Hire
At NIKE, Inc. we promise to provide a premium, inclusive, compelling and authentic candidate experience. Delivering on this promise means we allow you to be at your best — and to do that, you need to understand how the hiring process works. Transparency is key. * This overview explains our hiring process for corporate roles. Note there may be different hiring steps involved for non-corporate roles.Start now
Whether it’s transportation or financial health, we continually invest in our employees to help them achieve greatness — inside and outside of work. All who work here should be able to realize their full potential.