Communications Director, Global Nike DirectApply
Become a Part of the NIKE, Inc. Team
NIKE, Inc. does more than outfit the world's best athletes. It is a place to explore potential, obliterate boundaries and push out the edges of what can be. The company looks for people who can grow, think, dream and create. Its culture thrives by embracing diversity and rewarding imagination. The brand seeks achievers, leaders and visionaries. At Nike, it’s about each person bringing skills and passion to a challenging and constantly evolving game.
The Nike, Inc. Communications team develops, establishes and strengthens authentic connections with diverse audiences through the lens of innovation and sport. The team creates premium and innovative brand stories, builds and enhances corporate reputation and brand equity, and engages audiences such as consumers, media, athletes, investors, non-governmental organizations and Nike’s own employees. The team focuses on information, inspiration and connection to accelerate the growth of Nike, Inc. Communications employees ignite conversations, envision the possibilities, and influence and deliver new levels of creative and strategic thinking to advance the brand around the world.Description
The Global Nike Direct Communications team is responsible for leading communications internally and externally for Nike Direct, including the development and activation of communications strategies for our current fleet and new store openings, across Nike's digital ecosystem (ecommerce, app portfolio, etc.) and to our Nike Direct employees globally, which include thousands of retail store employees who serve as some of our best ambassadors for the Nike brand.
The Nike Direct Communications Director will lead the development of an integrated narrative across all functions within Nike Direct. The narrative is the cornerstone to other key responsibilities for this role, including development of an external media and thought leadership strategy to drive our storytelling as a mobile first, membership-driven, innovative brand. The Communications Director will take a campaign approach to storytelling for Nike Direct, including media and stakeholder mapping; key message and script development; message measurement and analytics; media and message training; issues management; and more.
This role is part of the Nike Direct Communications function and will intersect directly with each team within the function to ensure alignment and pull through of narrative and messaging internally and externally. This position will also work in close partnership with global and functional teams at Nike responsible for media relations, global narrative and publishing, purpose communications, investor relations, employee communications, geography communications and Nike Direct strategy.
Examples of work include:
- Work with Nike Direct Leadership, Nike Direct Comms leadership and the global Narrative and Publishing COE to develop an externally facing story and narrative.
- Develop messaging for the Nike Direct leadership team to reach Nike’s thousands of retail employees, external stakeholders and millions of consumers
- Craft a narrative, messaging, scripts, and talking points for both internal and external speaking opportunities for Nike Direct leadership around the world
- Oversee analysis and develop metrics to assess impact of messages and make recommendations and adjustments on narrative, channels and audiences as appropriate.
- Collaborate with members of the Global and Geography Nike Direct communications teams to develop themes and story arcs that will guide Nike Direct strategy and maintain continuity of messaging around the world
- Development of issues and crisis management communications materials when necessary
- Partner with Corporate Communications, HR, and other key functions to strengthen the Nike Direct narrative through multiple channels, i.e., media; speaking engagements; key partnerships; etc
- Role also includes partnership with employee communications team on key messages and content that supports story development through employee-focused channels, including those to our retail workforce
- Assist with script development and messaging for Town Hall meetings and email communications and other employee communications for Nike Direct senior leadership (VP and above)
- When needed, write and develop media materials including press releases, message documents, Q&A; tech copy, etc
- Provide ongoing measurement and analysis on narrative/messaging, speaking opportunities, external case studies, etc
- Examples of narrative themes include: Future of Retail (Integration of Physical and Digital; Launch of new retail concepts; Innovative digital experiences through Nike’s extensive app portfolio; Acquisitions and partnerships, etc.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, public relations, communications or related discipline
- 8+ years of professional Communications experience
- 2 additional years of experience required in lieu of a degree
- Direct writing experience in developing effective and engaging scripts and messaging for leaders and spokespeople
- Strong writing skills and editorial planning combined with speed, flexibility and attention to detail
- Message development that leverages multiple platforms including digital, video, mobile and social media. Experience in podcasts is a plus
- Ability to build and cultivate key relationships internally with multiple business partners, and work well in a cross-functional, cross-geographical and cross-category matrix organizational structure
- A passion for sport, digital innovation, the future of retail and the consumer
- Experience in messaging / communications for a physical/digital retail organization
- Experience in messaging / communications for tech sector
NIKE, Inc. is a growth company that looks for team members to grow with it. Nike offers a generous total rewards package, casual work environment, a diverse and inclusive culture, and an electric atmosphere for professional development. No matter the location, or the role, every Nike employee shares one galvanizing mission: To bring inspiration and innovation to every athlete* in the world.
NIKE, Inc. is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability.
Job ID 00430943