Become a Part of the NIKE, Inc. Team
NIKE, Inc. does more than outfit the world’s best athletes. It is a place to explore potential, obliterate boundaries and push out the edges of what can be. The company looks for people who can grow, think, dream and create. Its culture thrives by embracing diversity and rewarding imagination. The brand seeks achievers, leaders and visionaries. At NIKE, Inc. it’s about each person bringing skills and passion to a challenging and constantly evolving game.
NIKE, Inc.’s rapid pace of innovation demands a Legal team that is always on the offense. And they’re always on their game – with the mission to advance and guide Nike’s business through innovative, offense-minded counsel. Nike attorneys, paralegals and other specialists in law provide inventive approaches and superior counsel to Nike’s global business. As Nike changes the future of sport, the Nike Legal team drives competition, ingenuity and integrity in the marketplace.
At the core of NIKE is one simple idea: innovate. NIKE’s rapid pace of innovation demands a change mindest and visionaries to lead change. As NIKE changes the future of sport, the NIKE Chief Administrative Office (“CAO”, which includes the Legal, Social & Community Impact, Government & Public Affairs and Resilience functions) powers NIKE to deliver on its ambitious company goals, while protecting its assets and delivering elite corporate governance!
The role will help us move faster, innovate faster and enhance the productivity of our team through the development of new approaches to process, policy and tools to unlock more from our CAO team. It will also help us drive necessary innovative and strategic change across the CAO and company.
As an Assistant General Counsel on the CAO’s Operations, Innovation & Strategic Initiatives team, you will support and implement critical initiatives, accelerate new ways of working and push forward key efforts for the CAO. This will include, without limitation:
- Help drive the implementation and adoption of innovative solutions across the Legal team, with an initial focus on delivering NIKE Contracts, which supports the contracting capability across the enterprise.
- Be a leader and driver of Strategic Initiatives across the CAO, including its Diversity, Equity & Inclusion and Pro Bono programs.
- Support the streamlining of processes, policies, contractual standards and procedures, in partnership with NIKE’s Finance, Controlling, Procurement, Global Contracting Office teams, and external partners and Legal partners.
- Help drive efficiency-based initiatives, ensuring that Legal serves the company at speed, while effectively managing risks and unlocking opportunities.
What you bring to Nike?
The following are the personal, professional, and performance competencies required to be successful in the role:
Grow Yourself and Grow the Business: Innovative Thinking
- The ability to drive and operationalize an inspiring and forward-looking vision for the CAO.
- The capacity to seek and analyze data from a variety of sources to support decisions and to align cross-functionally.
- An entrepreneurial spirit to develop new, innovative ideas that will stretch the CAO and push the limits of its potential and drive the change to make it come alive.
- A common sense, pragmatic enterprise-first approach.
- The ability to effectively balance the desire/need for broad change with an understanding of how much change CAO is capable of handling, to create realistic goals and implementation plans that are achievable, sustainable, and successful.
- The capacity to think end to end, systematically and empathically to achieve high quality results for the CAO and the Enterprise.
Grow the Business: Accountability and Results Oriented
- The ability to successfully navigate organizational transformations, and be comfortable with ambiguity, risk and uncertainty.
- The capacity to be a risk-taker who seeks data and input from others to foresee possible unintended circumstances from decisions; someone who takes smart and calculated risks to unlock enterprise opportunities.
- Curiosity coupled with a high degree of integrity and forethought in his/her approach to making decisions; the ability to act in an open and consistent manner while taking into account what is best for NIKE and its people.
Grow the Business and Grow Together: Inspiring Leadership
- The ability to cultivate a diverse and inclusive corporate culture, while simultaneously unleashing, inspiring, and maximizing the full potential of all organizational talent.
- The capacity to motivate the CAO, delegate effectively, celebrate diversity within the team, and manage, develop, enable and maximize (individually and collectively) the performance and professional growth of team members.
- The ability to persevere in the face of challenges and exhibit a steadfast resolve and relentless commitment to higher standards of individual and enterprise accountability.
- The power to be a self-reflective, vulnerable, and aware leader who understands his/her own limitations and leads by example.
Grow Together and Grow Yourself: Relationship Management and Influence
- The power to successfully engage and collaborate with teammates within Legal, and across the CAO and NIKE.
- The ability to connect, build, and maintain positive relationships, while demonstrating emotional intelligence and an ability to communicate clearly and persuasively.
- The ability to manage confrontation in a sensitive and thoughtful manner.
- The knack to inspire trust in others through storytelling, communication skills, influence, charisma, passion in his/her beliefs, and active drive.
- The talent to shine the spotlight on others and celebrate and support the success of the team.
- The capacity to be a servant leader and great teammate, with a positive demeanor and an adventurous spirit.
What you bring to Nike:
- Law degree from an accredited US university or equivalent in foreign jurisdictions.
- Member, in good standing, of at least one U.S. state bar or a foreign equivalent, and if not already a member in good standing in the Oregon state bar, a commitment to seek membership in the Oregon state bar within the first 6 months of joining the Legal team.
- A minimum of 7 years experience in the practice of general business law with a major law firm and/or corporate legal department; with a significant focus on complex commercial transactions required; experience with employment law, intellectual property, privacy or anti-bribery/anti-corruption preferred.
- Proven, robust international experience is required.
- Excellent English (written and spoken) language skills, fluency in additional languages is a plus.
NIKE, Inc. is a growth company that looks for team members to grow with it. Nike offers a generous total rewards package, casual work environment, a diverse and inclusive culture, and an electric atmosphere for professional development. No matter the location, or the role, every Nike employee shares one galvanizing mission: To bring inspiration and innovation to every athlete* in the world.
NIKE, Inc. is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability.
How We Hire
At NIKE, Inc. we promise to provide a premium, inclusive, compelling and authentic candidate experience. Delivering on this promise means we allow you to be at your best — and to do that, you need to understand how the hiring process works. Transparency is key. * This overview explains our hiring process for corporate roles. Note there may be different hiring steps involved for non-corporate roles.Start now
Whether it’s transportation or financial health, we continually invest in our employees to help them achieve greatness — inside and outside of work. All who work here should be able to realize their full potential.