Become a Part of the NIKE, Inc. Team
NIKE, Inc. does more than outfit the world’s best athletes. It is a place to explore potential, obliterate boundaries and push out the edges of what can be. The company looks for people who can grow, think, dream and create. Its culture thrives by embracing diversity and rewarding imagination. The brand seeks achievers, leaders and visionaries. At NIKE, Inc. it’s about each person bringing skills and passion to a challenging and constantly evolving game.
Innovation is oxygen for NIKE, Inc., and the company depends on its talented, global workforce to breathe originality and curiosity into everything they do. The Nike Advanced Innovation team strives for lighter, faster, bigger, smarter, smaller, more efficient, more sustainable and more personal. They imagine, research, analyze and invent the next industry-changing technology to advance athletic performance. In roles that span research, design, materials and manufacturing, the Advanced Innovation team looks to the future and focuses on making the seemingly impossible, possible.
The Experience Design Director, NXT Digital explores new frontiers in product and service innovation through the ideation, rapid prototyping and testing of experience concepts. This role applies human-centered design principles to drive consumer research and insights gathering, strategize and design experience prototypes, and direct the appropriate technical solutions to accelerate the innovation process while bringing clarity to early stage exploration. The Experience Design Director collaborates with a multi-disciplinary group of designers, developers, product owners and partners, including Footwear and Apparel Innovation teams, to create innovative service experiences as well as emerging product creation capabilities. This role is responsible for managing the end-to-end process of ideation to digital prototyping in an ambiguous and constantly evolving environment, with a focus on gathering directional insights to inform the Innovation pipeline and a clear vision to influence Nike’s Advanced Innovation agenda and critical initiatives.
We’re looking for a candidate that has the leadership skills, vision and approach to uncover new innovation opportunities while advocating for all athletes* and create strategies for driving and testing new experience concepts to inform downstream partners. This role requires the ability to balance hands-on results with strategic and critical thinking to drive projects and collaborate with partners.
Preference will be given to candidates who demonstrate a well-rounded abilities for digital product design, prototyping and consumer testing, with a combination of strategic, conceptual and design skills to translate insights into practical strategies.WHAT YOU WILL WORK ON
As an inspiring leader for our team, you’ll be balancing macro- and micro-level tasks every day. At a high level, you’ll connect Innovation strategic priorities to tangible projects and effectively translate and drive those priorities into action. You’ll evangelize the value of human-centered design, represent the team, operate as a subject matter expert, and foster productive relationships with our Innovation partners. You’ll guide teams to lead with the voice of the athlete*, always advocating for and anticipating the needs of our consumer.Your key responsibilities are to:
- Integrate projects into the Innovation pipeline by uncovering new opportunities through user research and insights-gathering, and synthesizing insights to ground product strategies.
- Create and drive the experience strategy for various projects and collaborate with product owners to define prototype requirements.
- Manage, implement and own research and design deliverables, including user insights documentation, conceptual models, user journeys/flows, wireframes, visual designs, and prototypes.
- Educate and inspire team members by communicating an experience-based vision for the project while involving people at optimal levels for project success.
- Lead meetings with key partners; ensure that they meet the stated objectives and stay on agenda.
- Manage the collaboration with development teams, and work to streamline workflows and processes for team success.
- Facilitate meetings, conduct collaborative workshops, craft and make persuasive presentations.
As the Experience Design Director for NXT Digital, you’ll be operating in the Advanced Innovation Collective at Nike where you’ll partner primarily with Footwear Innovation, Apparel Innovation and Space teams, as well as the Nike Sports Research Lab, Global Technology, and other downstream business teams. You’ll be working within and across the enterprise, seeking opportunities to transition our Innovation concepts and create new connections.
- Bachelor’s degree in Design, Art or related field or equivalent combination of relevant education, experience and training.
- Several examples of successfully launched projects that demonstrate strategic, conceptual and creative thinking
- At least 8+ years experience in experience design, prototyping or R&D is required.
- A solid understanding and demonstration of human-centered design principles
- Demonstrated ability to design and direct research activities, as well as to synthesize data into concrete recommendations
- An expert understanding of the design and technology landscape what types of experiences are made possible by emerging digital capabilities
- Ability to develop innovative design approaches to complex design problems
- Ability to collaborate as part of a multi-disciplinary team, as well as communicate and influence across organizations
- Ability and passion to deliver premium solutions that do not jeopardize schedule and budget
- Critical thinking skills to assess business opportunities and identify project objectives
- An innovator approach with a propensity and passion for out-of-the-box thinking and ideation
- Must be organized and able to switch rapidly between different projects in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work in an independent fashion, solve problems, make decisions, and communicate effectively in difficult situations
- Can work with grace under pressure and operate effectively and proactively in an ambiguous environment
- Proficiency with Sketch, Photoshop, Illustrator, Keynote, PowerPoint, and modern prototyping platforms and tools
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience conducting internal/external user research a plus
- Prefer deep expertise in one of the following areas: qualitative user research, creative & innovative problem-solving, inclusive design, environmental design, or entrepreneurship.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation
NIKE, Inc. is a growth company that looks for team members to grow with it. Nike offers a generous total rewards package, casual work environment, a diverse and inclusive culture, and an electric atmosphere for professional development. No matter the location, or the role, every Nike employee shares one galvanizing mission: To bring inspiration and innovation to every athlete* in the world.
NIKE, Inc. is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability.
How We Hire
At NIKE, Inc. we promise to provide a premium, inclusive, compelling and authentic candidate experience. Delivering on this promise means we allow you to be at your best — and to do that, you need to understand how the hiring process works. Transparency is key. * This overview explains our hiring process for corporate roles. Note there may be different hiring steps involved for non-corporate roles.Start now
Whether it’s transportation or financial health, we continually invest in our employees to help them achieve greatness — inside and outside of work. All who work here should be able to realize their full potential.