Assistant General Counsel, IP Transactions and LicensingApply
Become a Part of the NIKE, Inc. Team
NIKE, Inc. does more than outfit the world's best athletes. It is a place to explore potential, obliterate boundaries and push out the edges of what can be. The company looks for people who can grow, think, dream and create. Its culture thrives by embracing diversity and rewarding imagination. The brand seeks achievers, leaders and visionaries. At Nike, it’s about each person bringing skills and passion to a challenging and constantly evolving game.
Nike, Inc.’s rapid pace of innovation demands a Legal team that is always on the offense. And they’re always on their game – with the mission to advance and guide Nike’s business through innovative, offense-minded counsel. Nike attorneys, paralegals and other specialists in law provide inventive approaches and superior counsel to Nike’s global business. As Nike changes the future of sport, the Nike Legal team drives competition, ingenuity and integrity in the marketplace.Description
- Develop and implement global strategy for Nike’s IP transactions and licensing activities.
- Work closely with senior management, technical/business stakeholders, and legal colleagues to advise and negotiate IP-intensive transactions, including strategic partnerships, joint development efforts, open innovation activities, patent licenses, and IP acquisitions.
- Draft and negotiate IP-centric agreements including joint development and collaboration, IP acquisition, university research, and inbound and outbound license agreements.
- Lead Nike’s open source program.
- Provide IP advice (including ownership, licensing, and indemnification guidance) for commercial and corporate agreements, including consulting, exclusivity, supply and manufacturing agreements.
- Provide IP advice on a variety of company and business issues, including M&A activities, strategic innovation programs, university relations, inventor programs, confidentiality programs, and employment-related issues.
- Collaborate and work with other senior business, IP, and legal leaders on a wide range of IP-related issues, including IP analysis, due diligence, disputes, and strategy.
- Provide education and training to Nike’s business, innovation and legal partners regarding IP, open source, and transactional/licensing issues.
- Juris Doctor degree and active member in good standing of at least one state bar; admission to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and a technical degree are strongly preferred.
- 5 to 10 years of solid experience in: negotiating and drafting IP and technology transactional agreements, license agreements, and IP provisions of commercial agreements; general IP substantive areas (including patent prosecution and litigation, trade secrets); open source review and counseling; and IP counseling. Some in-house legal experience is preferred.
- Broad range of legal experience and substantive knowledge related to open source, patent licensing, enforcement and litigation.
- Strong communication skills -- verbal and written -- with the ability to express thoughts clearly, concisely, and persuasively to a range of audiences, including legal experts, innovators, technologists, and senior business executives.
- Capable of adding value to Nike through unique technical and legal expertise.
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills; a team player who can establish and build partnerships within all levels of the innovation and legal teams.
- The ability to multi-task, manage multiple priorities, problem solve and deliver timely and effective results in a fast-paced, team environment.
- The ability to counsel clients in developing business and licensing strategies by finding creative solutions to complex business and legal issues relating to IP.
NIKE, Inc. is a growth company that looks for team members to grow with it. Nike offers a generous total rewards package, casual work environment, a diverse and inclusive culture, and an electric atmosphere for professional development. No matter the location, or the role, every Nike employee shares one galvanizing mission: To bring inspiration and innovation to every athlete* in the world.
NIKE, Inc. is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability.
Job ID 00367429